Australian Consulate-General
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin

Useful Links and Services for Australians Overseas

Travelling or moving overseas

Travel advice and hints

Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

E-3 Visas for the United States


The United States E-3 visa classification applies exclusively to nationals of Australia and enables them to live and work in the United States in a specialty occupation for a period of 2 years at a time.

Each year 10,500 E-3 visas are available and may be renewed indefinitely providing the principal applicant continues to meet the visa eligibility criteria. Spouses and children of the principal applicant may also be included in E-3 visa applications (spouses and children are not required to be Australian nationals).


To be eligible for an E3 visa, the principal applicant must:

  • Be an Australian Citizen (you must hold an Australian passport);
  • Have a University Degree deemed equivalent to at least a US Bachelor's Degree or 12 years of relevant work experience or a qualifying combination of education and experience; and
  • Have an offer of employment that typically requires a Bachelor's Degree in your area of study.

Although there is no definitive list of specialty occupations eligible for the E-3 visa, a useful general guide for applicants to check if their occupation might be considered a graduate specialty profession is the Occupational Information Network website O*NET Online.

More Information

Useful links


Voting while overseas

You can find information relating to being overseas at election time on the Australian Electoral Commission’s website

Moving to Australia

Gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services